HUD recently published a notice in the Federal Register that establishes an expedited process for reviewing requests for relief from HUD regulatory/administrative requirements for PHAs located in Texas, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Florida, and Georgia. The expedited process will also apply to future Major Disaster Declarations for the remainder of 2017.
Relief granted from requirements must benefit families affected by the disaster. The Notice enumerates twenty-two HUD requirements which may be waived, as well as four Indian Housing Block Grant Program Waivers and three areas where PHAs may also enjoy a degree of flexibility. These include, but are not limited to:
- Extension of the deadline for expenditure of capital funds
- Leniency on the family self-sufficiency minimum program size
- Allows units vacated due to severe storms or flooding to be considered “approved vacancies” under 24 CFR 990.145(b) for up to 12 months
- Waiver of secondary verification of eligible immigrant status
- Waiver of Public Housing Assessment System