A Conversation with Erika Poethig, White House Domestic Policy Council (October 26, 2021)
NH&RA is excited to announce Erika Poethig as the keynote speaker at our virtual Fall Developers Forum. Poethig serves as Special Assistant to the President for Housing and Urban Policy at the White House’s Domestic Policy Council. Before joining the Biden-Harris Administration, Erika Poethig was Chief Innovation Officer and Vice President for the Research to Action Lab at the Urban Institute, a social and economic policy research organization founded by President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In the Obama-Biden Administration, she held several positions including Acting Assistant Secretary for the Office of Policy Development and Research at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and was a leading architect of the White House Council for Strong Cities, Strong Communities. Poethig led housing policy portfolios at the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and at the City of Chicago’s Department of Housing. Poethig graduated from The College of Wooster and the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy.
Ms. Poethig joins NH&RA President Thom Amdur for a wide ranging conversation on affordable housing policy priorities and initiatives within the Biden-Harris Administration. The conversation explores:
- The role of the White House’s Domestic Policy Council in setting and coordinating public policy initiatives across the federal government
- Insight into the current state of the Build Back Better initiative, budget reconciliation and infrastructure legislation
- The Biden-Harris Administration’s efforts to address housing supply chain disruptions
- The role of the American Rescue Plan and the Build Back Better plan to address housing supply shortages
- Leveraging housing as a platform to address climate change, early childhood development and better health outcomes