The Alabama Housing Finance Authority updated its Frequently Asked Questions for the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Program.  

Who qualifies for this program?  

  • Alabama renters with a household income below 80 percent of area median income (AMI); 
  • With a demonstrable risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
  • And have one or more household members who qualify for unemployment benefits, experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship during or due, directly or indirectly, to the Coronavirus pandemic.  

What financial assistance is provided by ERA Alabama?   

  • Past due rent (from March 13, 2020 to present); 
  • Current and future rent (3-months/request up to a total of 18-months); 
  • Rental fees; 
  • Past due utilities (from March 13, 2020 to present); 
  • Current and future utilities (3-months/request up to a total of 18-months); and 
  • Utility fees. 

How do I know if my tenants are potential candidates?  

These may be some indicators of potential financial hardship: 

  • Tenant is slow to pay, makes partial payments, or makes payments on credit card; 
  • Tenant is receiving food assistance or food pantry deliveries; 
  • Tenant has stopped going to medical appointments or seeking treatment; 
  • Tenant is not driving or taking paid transportation (if applicable); and 
  • Tenant has cancelled services or utilities (or had them shut off). 

What documentation must landlords provide?  

Prior to starting a new application, Landlords will need to have the following information:   

  • Landlord Name (as it appears on W9);  
  • Landlord Address;  
  • Landlord Email Address;  
  • Duns Number (if known);  
  • TIN, EIN or Social Security Number;  
  • A completed IRS W‐9 form; and  
  • Proof of ownership of the property (for example, property tax statements or deed).  

When inviting Tenants to apply, the Landlord will need the following Tenant information:   

  • Tenant’s name;  
  • Tenant’s phone number; 
  • Tenant’s email address; and  
  • Rental statement or ledger showing balances owed by tenant. 

How are the payments made?  

Landlord may receive payments in one of the ways listed below: 

  • Landlord registers with ERA Alabama to receive direct payment rather than rental assistance being paid direct to tenant; and
  • Landlord separately provides written verification of the landlord-tenant, inclusive of amounts owed and evidence of a fully executed lease agreement, especially when the tenant fails to provide satisfactory evidence to verify the relationship. Under this option, the landlord agrees that any assistance provided will be paid direct to tenant. The landlord assumes all risks if the tenant fails to remit the payment to the landlord. 

Payments will be made using ACH deposit via Once a tenant’s application is approved, the landlord will be asked to provide bank routing information to to complete the payment process. Landlords are encouraged to be prepared to provide this information immediately following receipt of an email from If bank routing information is not provided, then a check will be mailed to the Landlord’s address. 

I own/manage an AHFA-funded property located in a city/county also administering ERA funds. Where should I apply?  

If it is an AHFA-funded property, you and your tenants may be eligible for reduced and streamlined documentation and eligibility requirements, per Treasury guidelines. Please contact for more information.    

I own/manage a non-AHFA property. Where should I apply?  

Non-AHFA properties located in Baldwin County, the City of Birmingham, the City of Huntsville, Jefferson County, Madison County, Mobile County, Montgomery County and Tuscaloosa County will apply to their respective local ERA assistance offices. All other non-AHFA properties will apply to ERA Alabama at