The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico have signed an agreement to develop and implement a comprehensive market-based housing plan on the island. HUD will provide significant training and technical assistance while Puerto Rico designs and implements a housing strategy to better serve its citizens. HUD’s technical assistance will include:
- Conducting a comprehensive ‘housing needs assessment;’
- Identifying gaps in capacity needed to execute the housing plan;
- Improving financial management of HUD’s housing and community development programs;
- Assisting the Commonwealth to develop a multi-year plan improve program administration; and
- Training to leverage HUD funding with other public and private capital to amplify the impact of the Commonwealth’s housing plan.